I'm a 1661 woman - sixteen from behind, sixty one from the front! I'm of the baby boom generation. Loved the fab sixties - which I experienced in London - I was a flower child - thought love would change the world - brought my children up in the country - back in London for the 2nd summer of love in the eighties - danced all night again - wonderful! Now in Devon looking forward to the adventure of old age - bring it on! hahaha

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Remember Filofax's?

Geena's comment on my room 101 blog is so true for me too.
It's funny how we put up with it, just stiffen up and endure.

That backfired on me once ......

I was waiting to get off a bus at the Elephant and Castle when a guy behind pushed forward. And as usual, instead of turning round and telling him to back off, I just bristled inside - thought to myself "Get out of my space" and tried to ignore it.

It was only when I got off the bus that I realised he's pickpocketed me! He'd taken my little red leather filofax (remember when we all had those?)
He had obviously thought it was a purse but I'd have rather he had got my purse because I had everything in that filofax - my whole life was in there and I desperately wanted it back.

Then I remembered that I'd written inside the front cover of it "£40 reward for return of this book" with my phone number. (In those days I was much better off financially than I am now, living and working in Devon, and to replace the book with all of it's contents would have cost that anyway).

Sure enough a phone call came from a guy.
Either the thief had thrown the book away in disgust and this guy had picked it up or, well, this could actually be the thief!
If it was I didn't care - I just wanted my lovely little red leather book back home where it belonged, so I arranged to meet up with him - in a public place natch.
I didn't want him to have my address and I didn't intend going to his home - all far too dodgy.

So I met him, back at the Elephant and Castle (I know, still very dodgy) out in a public area and, yes, he did turn up and I did get it back - I've still got it, even though I don't use it anymore - personal computers came along after that, didn't they?

Later: Why does Blogger lie sometimes? I dug out the filofax and took a photo of it to post in my blog. Blogger told me it had been uploded - twice - but it hadn't :o{

The book is really old and battered - I used it for years. It's got a big batch of year planners inside where you can unfold the whole year in front of you. Wow, there's loads of them in here...

Hah! I was sooo anal - I've got all my periods charted there - any PMT before - which days were light, which medium, any pain!!!! What was I like?? But if a doctor asked me about my periods (as they do) then I could tell her everything she could possibly want to know!

It also has when I gave up smoking - Feb '93. in between my Dad and my Mum dying. What a stressful time to choose to do it huh?

I'm going off now to read some more .......

~(:o})=

10 Comments:

Blogger Tanya said...

I am thinking hard about my 101... I think it is people who are late... Guys mum is always late, running late and It annoys me so much, and she never says sorry when she's late, i hate that too... I always try to be early, i'm a bit previous me... don't know why but it bugs me so much..
I am sure there are nore, I am glad you found your filofax, i remember they were all the rage, i lost my mobile last year, that was annoying with all my numbers.. must put them in an address book as well...

October 09, 2006 12:52 pm

 
Blogger Tanya said...

Ps
I love Donnas 101, I can just see her in my head..

October 09, 2006 12:54 pm

 
Blogger lettuce said...

hahaha. I started charting my periods when I found out I was peri-menopausal. Eventually I realised it was constant PMT, so I don't bother any more!!

October 09, 2006 4:29 pm

 
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

What do you mean you WERE so anal? hehehe ;-)

You're just a very organised Capricorn and I admire your list making, journal keeping so much as I live in organised chaos thinking I will keep all the info in my head when in reality I don't. Which is why I had no idea when Lizzy was conceived because I always forget when I had my last period!

October 09, 2006 5:05 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear Tat would DIE around me - I am ALWAYS late for everything, no matter how hard I try not to be.

And my journals are a waste of my time - I never remember to use them. Sometimes I wish I were anal.:-)

October 09, 2006 6:35 pm

 
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Oh yes, I remember those filofaxes. I had a lovely leather one - everything was in it. I used to think I was so important running around London clutching my filofax as if I had an important job! That and SHOULDER PADS! I even had a pinstripe skirt suit! Oh, I can't bear to think about it.

As for my Room 101 - I'll have to think about that one...I've thought! ESTATE AGENTS

October 09, 2006 8:32 pm

 
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

hahaha - I'm being made to realise what a grumpy old woman I must be by reading other people's 101s because I agree with all of them!

Tat's one especially strikes a chord with me. I HATE being left to wait for people who are late. It's as though that person is telling me that I don't matter. That my time, wasted hanging around for someone, is not important.

Of course, when someone who generally turns up on time is late, I can accept apologies gracefully but when someone persistantly doesn't really care if they keep me waiting and especially if they don't even apologise, then I'm not happy.

I made myself a rule at one time that if someone kept me waiting longer that a certain time I wouldn't wait any longer - that was the only way I could keep my self respect intact. I would tell myself that my time is important and I have better ways of spending it that hanging around for someone who always shows up late.

I always instigated that rule at the beginning of a relationship with a guy - I thought it was important to get the ground rules clear from the start! hahahaha

Like Tats, being on time is something I need to do. I like to be reliable and it seems to me to be a simple matter of respect for the other person.

OK, rant over .........

~(:o})=

October 10, 2006 9:10 am

 
Blogger Trac said...

hahaha - people who are late!

Nick is always, always late! He's missed more planes than most people have caught!

We've officially been together for 18 years but in reality, it's probably only about 9! :O)
***
While I'm here, I'd like to add a few room 101's onto my list -

Hairdressers.
Shopping Centres.
Ikea.

Better go now, before I think of anymore! :O)x

October 10, 2006 5:06 pm

 
Blogger Tanya said...

Here, here GOW my sentiments exactly !!! hahaha, I remember seeing poor Nick running up the stairs at school when I was leaving after a long chat with friends at the school gates !!! call me old fashioned but I think it just plain rude !!! saying that I daren't be late for any of you now hahahaha

October 12, 2006 7:18 am

 
Blogger Tanya said...

No not Nick being rude, didn't mean that, I meant people late for me.....

October 12, 2006 7:19 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home