I'm a 1661 woman - sixteen from behind, sixty one from the front! I'm of the baby boom generation. Loved the fab sixties - which I experienced in London - I was a flower child - thought love would change the world - brought my children up in the country - back in London for the 2nd summer of love in the eighties - danced all night again - wonderful! Now in Devon looking forward to the adventure of old age - bring it on! hahaha

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Fingers

I saw an article in the Sunday paper saying that a typical male hand has a ring finger longer than the index finger, while on women's hands these fingers are more likely to be of equal length.

Professor John Manning, an evolutionary psychologist at the University of Central Lancashire, forwarded the theory that the two fingers are an anatomical record of what went on in the womb in the critical first three months.

A long ring finger is a sign that the developing heart and brain were exposed to higher levels of testosterone, while a relatively long index finger is a marker of oestrogen exposure.

Manning said that "High testosterone before birth, as indicated by digit ratio, can produce behavioural problems in children, like temper tantrums, bullying, fights with other children, being hyperactive or being easily distracted"

Children with long index fingers, by contrast, are more likely to be neurotic and sensitive.

He said "The other very strong relationship to digit ratio is found in running speeds - there is a pretty good chance of predicting who is going to win a race."

So have a look at your man or boy's hands - I don't have either so can't check it out. Is it true?

Oh, and PTB about Richard Hammond - the younger one in Top Gear.

7 Comments:

Blogger Identikit said...

Very interesting. I just took a look in the staff room and certainly Gerry has a much longer ring finger than index finger and all the things that that Manning chap says eg temper tantrums, would apply to him!!
But my ring finger is also longer than my index finger. Oh dear!! Must be why I like fast cars and why I am easily distracted from my work by blogging!!
Yes, I feel sad about Richard Hammond too. I can't believe he will ever be the same again.
Have a great weekend.
It's absolutely pouring with rain here!
Kitty xxx

September 22, 2006 1:10 pm

 
Blogger lettuce said...

Oh dear, here too - my ring fingers are just slightly longer. What does tht mean?

Can't check on M, he's still in bed!

September 24, 2006 7:15 am

 
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

Well Alfie has one of each which might explain a few things :-)

September 24, 2006 8:47 am

 
Blogger Roxy Simmons said...

my left hand is ok, but on my right hand, my index finger is markedly shorter than my ring finger.

i've also heard this theory before and my results don't surprise me one bit.

September 24, 2006 4:36 pm

 
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

Lizzy's ring fingers are MUCH longer than her index finger!!!! OH NO :-(

September 24, 2006 6:15 pm

 
Blogger Roxy Simmons said...

i found the article on the bbc site if anyone wants to read: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4314209.stm

i just wish all these people would join the bloody dots as far as hormone problems are concerned. but i won't rant about it here.

September 24, 2006 10:09 pm

 
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

Thanks for that link, Roxy.

Reading through it I came across the sentence:
"Men with the shortest index fingers scored higher on measures of physical aggression than those with longer index fingers, but the study's findings did not apply to women" ......
so that's OK then :o}

September 25, 2006 6:35 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home