I'm a 1661 woman - sixteen from behind, sixty one from the front! I'm of the baby boom generation. Loved the fab sixties - which I experienced in London - I was a flower child - thought love would change the world - brought my children up in the country - back in London for the 2nd summer of love in the eighties - danced all night again - wonderful! Now in Devon looking forward to the adventure of old age - bring it on! hahaha

Sunday, January 21, 2007

weird and wonderful

Humph!! Well, Dons has tagged me to do this "6 weird things about me" thingy, so here I am. Funnily enough I had started writing a blog last night and had left it to go back to. Here it is:

Hi

I'm creeping quietly in here hoping that you'll think I've been around for ages - tho' obviously I haven't.

Since going off to Australia (which was heavenly) I came back to more course work, the Christmas madness, Alfie's accident (which affected Dons and I more than him I think) and then a heavy cold turning into tiredness and floppiness - you know what I mean?

Adding to that the fact that I don't have broadband (so I live with the situation that dear Rambling Woman couldn't bear to deal with) AND the fact that since Google have taken over I've had a really hard time even commenting on people's blogs - the worst time being when Lettuce had shared with us the good news about her mother's health.
I wrote a long heartfelt comment, only to have it rejected over and over again because I could not find the combination of words and codes that would satisfy this new, very fussy Google blog monster. It almost brought me to tears!

Since then I have tried to join the Google blog properly and I'm hoping that things will be a bit easier now.

Anyway ............ my weirdness.

I was convinced that I'm not weird at all, so I asked my nearest and dearest what they thought and they all - to a woman - agreed that I am indeed very weird. Humph!

So what things about me are weird I wanted to know? Here are some of the things they sent me, in no particular order:

'Apparently' -
  • I have the LOUDEST clap in the world
  • I have a funny 'photo face'
  • I am a list fanatic - even going so far as to draw pictures along with my lists when preparing to go on holiday
  • I stir coffee so long and vigorously it spills everywhere
  • I low like a cow when I'm asleep (I know that's true 'cos the lovely Dons taped it for me when she was a child)
  • I have to go round the supermarket in a particular order - it upsets me when it's messed up. And I have to pack everything in a particular order too - hate having someone pack my shopping for me.
  • I have no sense of direction and no memory of how I get from A to B even when I've done the route several times (or even many times).
  • I have funny choking fits at odd times - a family trait that thankfully I have not passed on to Dons or Roxy.
  • I have a 'thing' about stationary, having, for example, a large collection of (pilot)pens in waiting.
  • I have a thing about hangers - I can never have enough of them and very rarely let them go. I take them with me when I visit people, as I find no one ever provides enough hangers for me. I even dragged a load to Australia with me and yes! they were needed.
  • I always carry everything I might possibly need with me - something for every eventuality/type of weather.
  • I keep my bread in the fridge
  • I never use my nice soaps because they are too nice to use.
  • Instead of laying back in the bath to rinse my hair I bend forward
  • I can never have 'naughty' things in the house eg chocolates, even if they are present s for someone else because I will eat them :o{
  • I am always early and get panicky if there is a possibility of being late.
  • I also get up hours before I need to, just to make sure that I'm ready for the day
  • I ALWAYS check to see if clothes I am thinking of buying are 'dry clean only'

There's more, much more, but I'm going to stop there - pick out your own six from that lot.

~(:o})=


19 Comments:

Blogger Antipodeesse said...

Oh, thank you for that GOW, I laughed myself sick! You definitely have some straaaaange habits and I'm tickled that you actually took hangers to Australia!

But I feel VEWY SAD that you don't use your nice soaps. I really think you should break that bad habit immediately. If you start using your nice soaps, perhaps you will cure your hanger problem too!

January 29, 2007 9:14 pm

 
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

hahaha - thanx for the advice - I think I will follow it and make myself get over the soap thing. After all, there's always more soap, isn't there?

January 29, 2007 9:27 pm

 
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

How do I stop having 'comment moderation' activated? I don't want to moderate the comments sent to me.
~(:o})=

January 29, 2007 9:28 pm

 
Blogger The fabric of my life said...

Hehehe you are such a weirdo! But that's why you are so very fab. I admire your honesty in revealing some of the sillier ones and yes there are more ;-)

Well done, there now don't you feel better? You have finally broken the blog barrier and have come back to us x

I will try and log in as you and turn off moderation for you.

January 29, 2007 9:42 pm

 
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

Your comment moderation doesn't seem to be on?!

January 29, 2007 9:46 pm

 
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

Oh hahahaha now you're talking to yourself!!!!

January 29, 2007 9:46 pm

 
Blogger Tanya said...

Welcome back, so happy to see you and will be even happier to see you.. You're not so weird.. I keep bread in the fridge and have to be early and eat all the chocolates, currently working my way through Dulcies chocolate orange !

January 29, 2007 10:13 pm

 
Blogger Roxy Simmons said...

i love the bit about you making lists. 'nuff said! LOL!!

seeing as i don't have a blog, i am going to hijack yours and put my weirdness into it. i asked the hubby what was weird about me, and he was no help at all. he just said 'everything'.

so i've had to think up some, and i'm sure that there are weirder ones than the ones i've thought of. also, there are some i share with my sister, dons and GOW.

1. when i choke, i sneeze. never fails.

2. i have to have a ‘virgin copy’ of a magazine. if somebody has thumbed through it, it’s just not the same. (i think this one was caught from dons)

3. i still can’t tie my shoelaces properly. i have to do two bows and tie them together.

4. i have a round wisdom tooth. my 'peg'.

5. i eat peanut butter and sliced tomatoes on toast. (i blame dons for this one too).

6. when i’m taking something from a shelf, i have to take the one behind the front one. inevitably, this is the one that turns out to be faulty, much to the hubby's annoyance/delight.

7. i'm a very grown up lady (well, in years) but i STILL have to have a christmas stocking, and, much to the hubby's dismay, he has to put it on my feet. this is even if i am awake - i will get back into bed and make him put the stocking on my feet so that i can feel it.

8. i have to raise my glass in a toast with my right hand. i actually find myself bristling if someone doesn't hold their glass in their right hand - i consider it bad luck for some reason. i am not sure where on earth this one came from!

9. i can't listen to the phone with my right ear. i know my hearing isn't impared in that one, but i just can't do it.

10. i can't wear hats because (i feel) i can't hear or see with them on. it drives me crazy. this was very hard to deal with when i was a milliner!

a couple that i share with my mum:

11. i too have to go around the supermarket in a particular way, which was hilarious when i met up with GOW again as we were both trying to go OUR way. i think i even had the cheek to call HER stubborn!

12. i also hate someone else packing supermarket bags for me, which really seems to piss off the americans. i'm virtually snatching things off of the conveyer belt before they can get to it.

January 30, 2007 6:05 am

 
Blogger Roxy Simmons said...

oh, i forgot - two more i share with GOW are the chocolate thing, and the bread thing, BUT, i also keep everything else in the fridge too... including my cereal.

i'm basically like GOW, but more pepped up... i.e. more neurotic! LOL!!

p.s. now i want a chocolate orange!

January 30, 2007 6:07 am

 
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Yay! You're back!

I love your weirdness! I could do with some of your organisational weirdness! But I'm glad it's not all control! The chocolate thing is funny.

The bread inthe fridge thing - that's a 'hot country' thing isn't it? But it makes sense actually!

I love your 'loud' clap! Ever thought of joining a flamenco group?

Nice to have you back. xxxx (smiley face)

January 30, 2007 7:47 am

 
Blogger lettuce said...

You're so weird, you lot!

heehee. Actually I share some of these. Not saying which, I don't want people thinking I'm as weird as you.

Its so nice to have you back!

January 30, 2007 7:48 am

 
Blogger Tanya said...

Roxy, I will send you some chocolates oranges, will order my shoes tonight or tomorrow have had a sick child...

A french girlfriend popped around today and remarked about my bread being in the fridge when I opened it to get milk! maybe it is weird hahaha

January 30, 2007 10:57 am

 
Blogger y.Wendy.y said...

So lovely to have you back. I loved your list - we have a few oddities in common....stirring coffee, not using nice soap (mine just sits in the cupboard), collecting stationery...and choking fits. I hate those - sometimes I get scared I'll choke to death on my own and nobody will know.

Oh and here's one I forgot...

I don't like the feeling of pulling tissues out of a box. It gives me the heebie-jeebies.

So I rip a new box open and take the tissues out one at a time and fold them into neat squares, then store them in a vintage tin.

January 30, 2007 6:56 pm

 
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

hahahaha - so, we're all bloody weird! Thanx for all the feedback on that.
And thanx Dons for switching off my comment moderation thingy for me = tho' getting me to talk to myself was ...... well - WEIRD!

January 30, 2007 8:17 pm

 
Blogger Roxy Simmons said...

tats, i would love a chocolate orange. thanks! :)

February 03, 2007 6:35 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehe...I thought your "weirdeness" was hillarious..so many things in there I can recognise in myself...and I'm only 37!!! Glad that you say you only "apparently" have the LOUDEST clap in the world. That honour definately belongs to me lol.

Jackie Parker, Crewe.

February 05, 2007 11:25 am

 
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

Hi Jackie

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's nice to know my weirdness is shared by others! hee hee

~(:o})=

February 05, 2007 1:13 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi again

Oh most definately shared by others. ...and thanks for replying btw. I might even set up my own blog.."Grumpy Young Middle Aged Woman"..is there such a thing??

Thanks
Jackie

PS...must have a "clap off" sometime to see who really has the loudest clap in the world haha.

JP

February 05, 2007 2:20 pm

 
Blogger grumpy old woman said...

hahahahahaha!!!

Let me know if you get a blogsite set up.

~(:o})=

February 05, 2007 5:31 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home